It’s the third day of F1’s pre-season testing in Jerez Circuit, Spain. Driving the McLaren-Honda, Fernando Alonso finally made a breakthrough when he logged 32 laps on this day.
The car spent most of the first two days of testing in the garage after frequently encountering issues. However, it seemed that there were no major issues as it continuously ran several laps in the morning of the third day. Alonso’s fastest time was 1:35.553, which was set in damp conditions before the track dried out. He was certainly not lagging behind the other teams.
Although the McLaren-Honda team had been aiming to make a breakthrough in the afternoon when the track dried out, they were stopped by an engine water leak. The car returned to the garage to have this issue fixed, forcing the team to end their tests early.
The rookie Felipe Nasr (Sauber) logged the fastest time on the third day at 1:21.545 (109 laps). Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) logged the second fastest at 1:21.750 (94 laps). The Ferrari-powered cars have dominated the 1-2 finish for three consecutive days.
Nico Rosberg logged the third fastest time with 1:21.982. He completed 151 laps, which is approximately three races worth of distance.
2015 F1 Day Three of Pre-season Test in Jerez
1. Felipe Nasr (Sauber) 1:21.545 (109 laps)
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:21.750 (94 laps)
3. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) 1:21.982 (151 laps)
4. Felipe Massa (Williams) 1:22.276 (71 laps)
5. Pastor Maldonado (Lotus) 1:22.713 (96 laps)
6. Carlos Sainz Jr (Toro Rosso) 1:23.187 (137 laps)
7. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull)1:23.901 (49 laps)
8. Fernando Alonso (McLaren) 1:35.553 (32 laps)
(Translated by Katherine N. Bantiles)